Connect with us

News

Taraba govt dismisses rumours of bankruptcy

Published

on

The Taraba State government has dismissed rumours of bankruptcy.

The state’s Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Hajia Zainab Usman, made the clarification on Wednesday in Jalingo.

She was reacting to allegations of financial mismanagement and misappropriation against the state government in some quarters.

The commissioner dismissed the alleged misappropriation of N100 billion as “outright falsehoods with no factual basis.”

Usman said the state’s Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) rose from N700 million at the start of the administration to over N2 billion by December 2024.

READ ALSO: Taraba govt approves N125,000 medical, housing allowance for corps members posted to schools

She said: “Rather than diverting funds, the administration has been servicing inherited loans while simultaneously executing major infrastructural projects.”

The commissioner noted that the implementation of N70,000 new minimum wage was a proof of the state’s financial stability.

She also countered claims that no projects had been executed by the state government and listed several completed and ongoing infrastructure projects in the state.

Usman stressed that Taraba has become “one of the safest states in Nigeria” under Governor Agbu Kefas’ watch.

Join the conversation

Opinions

Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism

Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.

As a media platform, we hold leadership accountable and will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.

If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.

Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.

Donate Now


 

Investigations